Friday, July 19, 2013

Graphic novel!

Looking over my past few posts, I realized I haven't talked too much about my graphic novel... which is strange, because I'm working on it ALL. THE. TIME. I am SUPER excited about this project- it really is a dream come true. It's a middle-grade graphic novel about roller derby. Right now I'm at the inking stage, which means (in my working habits), I'm going from my rough page layouts:


to finished black and white art.

Color, text, and word balloons will come in at a later stage.

I promise to do a more complete breakdown of my process at some point. But right now I'm in "the zone", and days when I can't sit and draw all day, I feel like this:


In the meantime, if you're interested in process, check out this fantastic free ebook on the making of the graphic novel Templar by Jordan Mechner, LeUyen Pham, and Alex Puvilland. I've been a big big fan of LeUyen's picture books for a while, and I can't wait to see her work in graphic novel format!

3 comments:

pencrush said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see the colored version!

Christoper said...

Cool!

Vicki said...

Thanks! I'm RULLY excited!