Friday, February 14, 2014

Ava And Pip

Several months ago, I had the pleasure of creating a jacket illustration for the middle-grade novel AVA AND PIP, by Carol Weston. It's an endearing story of two very different sisters- it's sweet, funny, and touching all at once. It gets a gold medal from me!* (*I have Olympics fever.)

I thought maybe you'd like to see the jacket sketches. Well, here they are!




Typically I try to send in 3-5 jacket ideas, and the publisher then chooses the one they like. Any guesses as to which one they chose?

???

???

???

... They chose this one!



Here's a closer look at the whole jacket. We flipped it around so it could be a wraparound image.


Many thanks to everyone at Sourcebooks Jabberwocky- I had such a fun time illustrating this cover (and reading the book). And thanks of course to Carol Weston for writing such an inspiring book! I could not wait to draw these two girls. You can visit Carol's website here, and buy the book here!

Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for the sequel! I just handed in the cover art last week, and let's just say... there is a cat involved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Victoria! I'm so glad that I stumbled on your blog… and that Steve picked upside-down Ava (though I love all the drawings). I'm going to be visiting lots of schools and was going to show kids my writer's drafts, so now I think I'll show them your drafts too. And how very exciting to hear that the cover of Ava and Taco cat is already in the works. Looking forward to meeting you someday!! And thank you!!